Keep an eye out for these deadlines
We recommend taking the PSAT starting in the freshman year. Students are advised to take the PSAT in sophomore and junior years. It is imperative that juniors take the PSAT in order to see if they qualify for the National Merit Scholarship. Check with your high school counselor to see when the PSAT will be given at your school. Registration typically begins in September of each school year.
Listed are the SAT and ACT test dates for the 19-20 school year, along with the registration deadlines.
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019
- On-time registration; the late registration deadlines are 10-14 days later and require extra fees.
Go to www.sat.org/register. Cost is $47.50 without essay or $64.50 with essay. Students who receive free/reduced lunch can ask their counselor for a fee waiver.
- August 24, 2019 (July 26, 2019 registration deadline)
- October 5, 2019 (September 6, 2019 registration deadline)
- November 2, 2019 (October 3, 2019 registration deadline)
- *December 7, 2019 (November 8, 2019 registration deadline)
- May 2, 2020 (April 3, 2020 registration deadline)
- June 6, 2020 (May 8, 2020 registration deadline)
* All testing for seniors must be completed with the December test administration. (Some CSU campuses recommend earlier testing, i.e. Cal Poly, Long Beach, etc. Go to https://www2.calstate.edu/Apply for information on individual campus requirements.)
Go to www.actstudent.org to register. Cost is $50.50 for ACT w/out writing and $67 for ACT w/writing. Students who receive free/reduced lunch can ask their counselor for a fee waiver.
- September 14, 2019 (August 16, 2019 registration deadline)
- October 26, 2019 (September 20, 2019 registration deadline)
- *December 14, 2019 (November 8, 2019 registration deadline)
- February 8, 2020 (January 10, 2020 registration deadline)
- April 4, 2020 (February 28, 2020 registration deadline)
- June 13, 2020 (May 8, 2020 registration deadline)
- July 18, 2020 (June 19, 2020 registration deadline)
Seniors, do not wait to send your scores to the colleges where you are applying! You get 4 free score reports included with your initial registration fees. Use this or lose it! Not sending scores in a timely manner can result in your admission being revoked by the colleges.
UC/CSU and Private
College Application Dates
University of California: Applications open August 1, 2019. You can begin filling out your applications, but you cannot send them until November 1, 2019. The deadline for submitting applications to UC is November 30, 2019. To apply go to: www.universityofcalifornia.edu/apply
California State Universities: Applications open October 1, 2019. You can start sending your applications October 1, 2019. The deadline for submitting to all CSU campuses is November 30, 2019. To apply go to: www2.calstate.edu/apply
Private and out of state colleges: Please check with each individual campus for dates to apply and send applications. Many private and out of state colleges use the Common Application for multiple applications on one site. To apply go to: www.commonapp.org
In order to see if seniors qualify for financial aid, the FAFSA must be completed prior to each year in college.
FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid Application opens October 1, 2019, and there is a very strict deadline to submit FAFSA by March 2, 2020. To apply go to: www.fafsa.gov
*Seniors must choose the 2020-21 application on the FAFSA website.
Cal Grant GPA Verification Form: This form must be submitted by March 2, 2020 in order to see if you qualify for state aid. Many high schools submit this form electronically for the entire senior class. Check with your high school counselor to see what the policy is for submitting GPA verification. Cal Grants are only applicable for California colleges. For information go to: www.csac.ca.gov